Thursday, April 14, 2016

Happy Llama, Sad Llama

I have a thing about llamas. I think they are one of the most sophisticated animals of all time (after pigs of course). Just ask Jeffery. I'm always singing a llama song or two. It's usually this one:

Happy llama,
Sad llama,
Mentally-retarded llama.
Super llama,
Drama llama,
Big, fat momma llama.
Moose!

Or this one:

Happy llama,
Sad llama,
Totally rad llama.
Super llama,
Drama llama,
Big, fat momma llama.
Baby llama,
Crazy llama,
Don't forget Barack Ollama.
Fish, fish, more fish,
Turtle,
Uh!
Unicorn,
Peacock!

Or maybe this one:

Here's a llama.
There's a llama.
And another little llama.
Fuzzy llama.
Funny llama.
Llama, llama, duck.
Llama, llama,
Cheesecake, llama,
Tablet, brick, potato, llama,
Llama, llama, mushroom, llama,
Llama, llama, duck.
I was once a tree house.
I lived in a cake,
But I never saw the way.
The orange slayed the rake.
I was only three years dead,
But it told a tale,
And now listen little child
To the safety rail.
Did you ever see a llama?
Kiss a llama?
On the llama?
Llama's llama,
Tastes of llama,
Llama, llama, duck.
Half a llama,
Twice a llama,
Not a llama.
Farmer, llama,
Llama in a car,
Alarm a llama,
Llama, duck.
Is that how it's told now?
It is oh so old?
Is it made of lemon juice?
Doorknob, ankle, cold.
Now my song is getting thin.
I've run out of luck.
Time for me to retire now
And become a duck (x6).

Soooo many llama songs, and I know more. But, you probably don't want to hear anymore (because you are not educated llama enthusiasts), so instead, I feel like boring you to death with awesome llama facts. So, I guess in reality, it won't be boring at all because awesome llama facts equals fun right? Yes. I am awesome at math. Anyway, llama facts:

1. Llamas are the South American relative of the camel even though they do not have humps.

2. There is a legend that the name "llama" came from the Spaniards who had never seen a llama before coming to South America. They kept asking "¿Cómo se llama?" causing the Incans to believe that was the Spanish name for the creature, but according to BBC, it's not true. I don't believe them. 

3. Llamas are native to the South American Andes and weren't imported into the United States until the late 1800s for zoo displays.

4. Llamas are pack animals, but they can only carry 50 to 75 pounds for about 20 miles. If they feel overloaded, llamas will refuse to move, spit, hiss, and even kick their owners until their burden is lessened.

5. If one llama has a problem with another llama, it will stick its tongue out and spit at the other llama in order to show distaste.

6. Llamas usually have one baby llama, or crias. Twins are very rare for llamas.

7. Llamas can run up to speeds of 35 miles per hour.

8. Llamas are sometimes used to guard flocks from coyotes, dogs, and foxes.

9. Llama dung is extremely useful and makes very good fertilizer.

10. When a female llama and a male camel mate, they have a cama. 

11. Llamas have three stomachs, or stomach chambers.

12. There is an entire font made out of llamas.


And, there you have it. Twelve awesome facts about llamas (can number twelve really be counted as a llama fact...?). As you can see, I love llamas, but I think my WHAP teacher, Mr. Barrios, may like them more (not really but just let him believe that). Gosh, I love llamas. Before I end this post, I am totally including some llama pictures, so you can see how totally adorable they are. :)




- Delanna

No comments:

Post a Comment